[Marxism] Fwd: Wretched of the Earth: Thoughts on Syria, Palestine and Discourse – Hummus For Thought

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Oct 18 05:05:27 MDT 2016

First, Assad means nothing to me and us as Palestinians. The whole saga
of him being a champion of Palestinian rights is one only ideological
bozos believe, not Palestinians. For us, he is only one thing: a butcher
of his own people. Clearly, I’m not in the business in proving to anyone
that he is not a champion of Palestinian rights by citing the last time
he shot a bullet towards Israel. There is so much written on this, go
read it. Here, I am stating with native authority that he is not, so
come on, do practice some of your cultural imperialism and force this
fake image of his on me. Tell Palestinians that you know about them more
than they know about themselves. Isn’t this what the anti-imperialist
leftist bozos criticize pro-interventionists of anyway: of speaking for
Syrians?

Second, I know what violence is. So, and here I’m addressing white
leftist Assadists in particular, if you think you know shit about life,
I suggest you think hard again. Reading a few books about Marxism and
philosophy to find meaning in your own life, and then engaging in some
armchair discussions about world politics and visiting a few ‘conflict
zones’ may teach you something, and there is nothing wrong with doing
this. Nonetheless, it does not make you more knowledgeable about life
than a high-school teenager with a direct experience of war, loss and
injustice, so do know what your limits are. Anti-imperialism is
precisely this: checking your privileges, your whiteness, understanding
the operations of power, the insidious forms of imperialism, i.e.
cultural imperialism, which do not come in the form of American wars and
interventions in the Middle East and Latin American, or European and IMF
neo-colonialism. There is more you may want to learn.

full:
https://hummusforthought.com/2016/10/18/wretched-of-the-earth-thoughts-on-syria-palestine-and-discourse/