[Marxism] Muftah.org and Verso Books present: "Syria and the Left"

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 12:09:16 MDT 2016

Some of you have seen my rant about this event on Facebook and Twitter. For
those who haven't:
I believe this event is a huge mistake:
1) It's characterization of Blumenthal as "Left" is mistaken:  there's a
difference between left/right categorizations based on membership or
participation in the workers' and/or allied movements of oppressed groups,
as opposed to Blumenthal's bogus "left" status based on some good things he
as a free-floating intellectual has written against Zionism - none of which
make up for his openly reactionary articles and tweets supporting Assad's
genocide.
2) Giving panel space to an Assadist like Blumenthal is spitting on the
graves of the countless martyrs whom he calls terrorists, such as the White
Helmets, and those dying, and the many more soon to be murdered, in Aleppo
and elsewhere.
3) Many people have responded to the points above by saying "it's a chance
to debate, to educate!" To which I reply: Bullshit. Muftah presented us
with a fait accompli, and they could have - AND STILL COULD - give
Blumenthal's spot to a supporter of the Revolution. Folks at
Barnard/Columbia had a forum last Thursday and another this Thursday with a
dozen such supporters and never felt compelled to soil their banner with
the filth Blumenthal spews.
IMO folks should let Muftah know they don't think Blumenthal deserves a
platform; let him yell on a street corner, it's a (relatively) free
country. If they don't relent, we certainly want to attend and give him a
piece of our mind.