[Marxism] Fwd: Tom Hayden’s Haunting

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Oct 27 07:12:27 MDT 2016

As an old SDS-er, I found it hard to see Tom Hayden go. However
meandering his path, he was at the heart of radical history in the 60s,
an erstwhile companion, if not always a comrade, on the route of every
boomer lefty.

One of his finer moments for me, which I’ve never seen mentioned
(including among this week’s encomia) since he wrote it, was his 2006
article, published on CounterPunch with an introduction by Alexander
Cockburn, in which he apologized for a “descent into moral ambiguity and
realpolitick that still haunts me today.” It would be respectful of
Hayden’s admirers and critics, on the occasion of his passing, to
remember which of his actions “haunted” him the most.

The title of the article says it clearly: “I Was Israel’s Dupe.” In the
essay, Hayden apologizes for his support of the Israeli invasion of
Lebanon in 1982, which was for him that “descent into moral ambiguity”
More importantly, he explains why he did it, in a detailed narrative
that everyone should read.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/10/27/tom-haydens-haunting/