[Marxism] Fwd: Peter Higgs: I wouldn't be productive enough for today's academic system | Science | The Guardian

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Oct 27 17:52:25 MDT 2016

Higgs revealed that his career had also been jeopardised by his
disagreements in the 1960s and 70s with the then principal, Michael
Swann, who went on to chair the BBC. Higgs objected to Swann's handling
of student protests and to the university's shareholdings in South
African companies during the apartheid regime. "[Swann] didn't
understand the issues, and denounced the student leaders."

He regrets that the particle he identified in 1964 became known as the
"God particle".

He said: "Some people get confused between the science and the theology.
They claim that what happened at Cern proves the existence of God."

An atheist since the age of 10, he fears the nickname "reinforces
confused thinking in the heads of people who are already thinking in a
confused way. If they believe that story about creation in seven days,
are they being intelligent?"

He also revealed that he turned down a knighthood in 1999. "I'm rather
cynical about the way the honours system is used, frankly. A whole lot
of the honours system is used for political purposes by the government
in power."

He has not yet decided which way he will vote in the referendum on
Scottish independence. "My attitude would depend a little bit on how
much progress the lunatic right of the Conservative party makes in
trying to get us out of Europe. If the UK were threatening to withdraw
from Europe, I would certainly want Scotland to be out of that."

He has never been tempted to buy a television, but was persuaded to
watch The Big Bang Theory last year, and said he wasn't impressed.

full:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/dec/06/peter-higgs-boson-academic-system