[Marxism] Fwd: The Outsider-Insider: Isaac Babel’s Big Mistake

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Oct 28 07:55:49 MDT 2016

It was fifty-four years or so when a classmate at Bard College insisted
that I read a short story by Isaac Babel titled “The Reserve Cavalry
Commander” that he described to me as a Cossack soldier miraculously
bringing a moribund horse to its feet. The Red Cavalry (the title of
Babel’s collection of short stories written when the Jew and former
Menshevik was imbedded with pro-revolution Cossacks) had been
confiscating peasant horses during the Civil War and trading in nags
ridden to exhaustion on the battlefield for fresh ones.

For the backward peasants, this was the sort of intrusion that would
become the straw that broke the camel’s back. In about a decade, being
forced into collective farms like recalcitrant horses drove them into
open revolt. For the time being, however, they were inclined to tolerate
the Communists who at least had come to power on the promise of peace,
bread and land. It was the assault on the gentry’s land that for the
time being assuaged the peasants.

full:
http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/10/28/the-outsider-insider-isaac-babels-big-mistake/