[Marxism] Fwd: Why the U.S. and Western Countries Could Be Bluffing About Military Intervention in Syria | Alternet

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Oct 28 08:08:46 MDT 2016

Vijay Prashad:

"In early 2011, when those of us who pointed out that the rebel ranks
were filled with veterans of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, al-Qaeda
and other extremist outfits, we were mocked and dismissed."

http://www.alternet.org/world/syrias-libyan-lessons

I don't get how people like Vijay and Shamus Cooke can write stuff that
makes them sound like embattled minorities. Mocked and dismissed? Are
you kidding? There were a hundred articles in praise of Gaddafi to each
one of mine. To tell you the truth, I was never mocked or
dismissed--only ignored. The fact is that in early 2011 the left fell
into line after Venezuela and Cuba began defending Gaddafi. In a day or
two, I will begin blogging about Libya for the first time in about 4
years. Most of what I write will be based on the articles in the
indispensable collection "The Libyan Revolution and Its Aftermath"
edited by Peter Cole and Brian McQuinn and by English-language blogs
written by Libyans. I don't know how many times you can keep repeating
the argument that Gaddafi was a victim of regime change rather than a
popular revolt but Vijay seems to have cornered the market.