[Marxism] Leila Al Shami shouted down at Anarchist Bookfair by PKK supporters

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Oct 29 16:34:30 MDT 2016

Today I was invited to speak at the London Anarchist Bookfair, an event
I was excited to attend, to talk about the situation in Syria.
Unfortunately the event did not take place.  We were shut down by a guy
called Amir Taaki (a British-Iranian who claims to be a developer of
Bitcoin and someone who apparently Forbes magazine considered ‘their top
30 under 30 list for 2014’ as he had previously proudly told me by
email) along with around seven of his friends (one dressed in full
military garb, a real revolutionary maybe?)

Firstly, I would like to apologize to those who attended the event and
had wanted to learn about the situation in Syria, an issue of critical
importance. Some had come from as far afield as Birmingham to hear
myself and Robin Yassin Kassab speak. Unfortunately as we were about to
begin, Amir and his friends stormed the event chanting “PKK”, “YPG” and
accusing myself and Robin of being “fascists”, “Arab nationalists” and
“supporters of jihadi groups such as Ahrar Al Sham which advocate
stoning women to death”. I will not respond to the claims as anyone who
is familiar with mine or Robin’s work will know they are absurd. And for
those not familiar, I refer you to our book ‘Burning Country: Syrians in
Revolution and War’ (Pluto Press); make up your own minds.

full: https://leilashami.wordpress.com/2016/10/29/london-anarchist-bookfair/