[Marxism] Fwd: Anarchism | Qunfuz

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Oct 31 05:51:59 MDT 2016

At its most extreme, this tendency is manifested in the behaviour of the
weird cultish people who closed down our event at the London anarchist
bookfair. If one tried to shout over them they joined in chanting ‘PYD’
(and ‘PKK’). When someone in the audience, a Lebanese of Catholic
family, spoke back to them, they screamed about him being ‘a Sunni Arab’
– as if this was some awful taint. I left pretty soon. Leila chose to
stay, thinking she might find a chance to speak (she didn’t). Once when
she did open her mouth, one of the cult screamed at her: “Shut up! This
is anarchism! Anyone can speak!” No irony.

But these people, fairly obviously I think, weren’t practising
anarchism. Most of the anarchists I’ve criticised above would agree with
me here. It was anarchism only in the popular misapprehension of the
word, as ‘disorder’. It wasn’t the PYD either. The PYD is more
sophisticated, and wouldn’t want to be represented thus. These people
weren’t even Stalinists. It wasn’t politics of any kind, but something else.

So people mustn’t blame anarchism for them. And even if the whole
Western anarchist tradition, from the intellectuals to the ‘lifestyle’
punksters, does nothing for you at all, still don’t blame anarchism.
Because as far as I can see, where anarchism actually exists (rather
than being talked about) is usually among people who wouldn’t think for
a moment to call themselves anarchists. Even among people who might
describe themselves as Muslims.

full: https://qunfuz.com/2016/10/31/anarchism/