[Marxism] Fwd: 2431. Making Progress: A Critical Assessment of Climate Action Plans by Bill McKibben and The Climate Mobilization

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Sep 5 05:34:33 MDT 2016

Kamran Nayeri:

I consider it a breakthrough of sorts. Last September a group of the
leading members of the Canadian ecological and social justice movements,
including Naomi Klein and David Suzuki, published The Leap Manifesto: A
Call for a Canada Based on Caring for the Earth and One Another, which I
characterized as “a welcome initiative towards a collective discussion
for social change necessary to address the root causes of social and
planetary crisis.”  Then last May E. O. Wilson published Half-Earth: Our
Planet’s Fight for Life(2016), his last volume in a trilogy, in which he
breaks ranks with the conservation movement’s piecemeal and reactive
approach by proclaiming and defending the ambitious goal based on the
best available science that the only viable way to save biodiversity on
which human life depends is to set aside at least half of the planet’s
land and oceans as protected areas for wildlife.  On August 15, Bill
McKibben, co-founder of 350.org and the acknowledged public face of the
climate justice movement, published a major policy essay, “A World at
War”, in the New Republic in which he outlines an action program for
transition to a post-carbon economy by 2050.  Four days later, on August
19, The Climate Mobilization (TCM), released an incomplete draft of its
Victory Plan, which goes much further in scale and scope than McKibben’s
essay. Here is my critical assessment of them.

full:
http://forhumanliberation.blogspot.com/2016/09/2431-making-progress-critical.html