[Marxism] Fwd: Michael Ansara’s special pleading for Hillary Clinton | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Sep 24 13:17:41 MDT 2016

It makes perfect sense for Michael Ansara to be urging a vote for
Hillary Clinton in Vox.com, the website launched by Ezra Klein in 2014.
Klein is a 32-year old wunderkind who got started at the Washington
Post, a newspaper to the right of the NY Times. Klein, who Doug Henwood
once referred to as a “Neoliberal über-dweeb”, supported the invasion of
Iraq in 2003. Like Hillary Clinton, he came to rue his decision but only
because it went sour. As the dweeb put it:

"I thought there was no way the Bush administration would neglect to
plan for the obvious challenges of the aftermath. I turned on the war
quickly when I saw how poorly and arrogantly it was being managed."

So who is this Ansara guy anyhow? Unlike Klein, he would seem to have
some credibility as a radical, at least on the basis of how he describes
himself in the Vox article:

"I am a New England regional organizer for Students for a Democratic
Society (SDS), the largest New Left student organization spearheading
the opposition to the war in Vietnam. Living in Cambridge, I swim in a
river of others just as young and just as committed — committed to
ending the war in Vietnam; committed to radical change for black
Americans; committed to creating an American New Left, rooted in
American realities and traditions. But in this year of 1968, what we
most want is to end the seemingly endless war in Vietnam, a
responsibility that rests uncomfortably on our too-young shoulders."

To begin with, you have to unpack the statement “the largest New Left
student organization spearheading the opposition to the war in Vietnam”.
By 1968, SDS had largely abandoned opposition to the war except for
campus-based actions such as opposing military recruiters, etc. It did
very good work on campus but it stood apart from the mass demonstrations
being organized by a coalition consisting of the SWP, the CP and
pacifists that it regarded as ineffective. SDS had organized the first
antiwar demonstration in Washington in 1965, largely through the
prodding of the SWP, but had become disappointed by the continuation of
the war. It combined anti-imperialist rhetoric with adventurist tactics
that mirrored the frustration of much of the student left. By 1971 SDS
had fallen apart with the Weatherman faction going underground to carry
out foolish terrorist attacks on “enemy” buildings as if a pipe bomb
could halt the war in Vietnam.

full:
https://louisproyect.org/2016/09/24/michael-ansaras-special-pleading-for-hillary-clinton/