[Marxism] Fwd: Syria - Calling for an End to the Interventions is Not Nearly Enough - peacenews.org

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Sep 29 05:48:18 MDT 2016

By Joseph Daher
The ceasefire in Syria concluded on September 9, 2016 between the US and
Russia came to an end on September 19 at 7pm and ended by a total
failure, whether politically, military or in humanitarian term.

For some sections of the “left” and sections of the anti war movement in
the USA and UK, the failure of the truce is a result of the
internationalisation of the war in Syria. This is explained by UK Stop
the War activist Chris Nineham “The central problem is the
internationalisation of the war. Syria has for years been a theatre in
which regional and global powers have been pursuing their geopolitical
interests – prolonging and intensifying the conflict. This process has
been gathering pace recently and in the run up to the worrying US
election there are growing calls for further western escalation”.
Everyone reading the article will notice that not a single word is said
on the destructive policies of the criminal and authoritarian Assad
regime, which has been the main source of the nearly half of millions of
deaths in the country, forced displacements of millions of people within
and outside of Syria and destructions throughout the country. This is
not a simple oversight and this is why, as I will show in my text I
think for this approach, simply calling an end to all interventions,
while putting them on a same level, to reach peace in Syria as stated in
Nineham’s text is not enough and is simply wrong.

full:
http://peacenews.org/2016/09/26/syria-calling-end-interventions-not-nearly-enough/