[Marxism] Like a bad penny

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Apr 1 18:14:02 MDT 2017

For those of you like me who hoped that the termination of Yoshie's 10
year stint at MRZine would at least bring an end to her Assadist Tweets,
I regret to inform you that nothing has changed. In fact, despite the
hiring of a new social media/webmaster, a new name and new URL, nothing
much has changed. You go to mronline.org and it is the same old
crap--Yoshie retweeting Ben Norton, Adam Johnson, Rania Khalek and every
other two-bit publicist for arguably the bloodiest dictator of the 21st
century. I never expected the new website to follow Jacobin's lead,
which has been to open up to Arab voices in support of the revolution.
But I at least held out hope that Foster was smart enough to know that
Yoshie's tweets are a slap in the face to a growing segment of the left.

Part of the problem is the sheer idiocy of Twitter. What are you to make
of a 140 character utterance about something as complex as Syria? I've
written 251 articles on Syria and Furuhashi has written none. Moving
right along, Foster's Rasputin John Mage has also written zero. That
leaves you with éminence grise John Bellamy Foster whose single article
on Syria over a 6 year period was so shallow and so tendentious that
you'd think he be embarrassed to put it up on Monthly Review, a magazine
that was smart enough at the beginning of the Baathist nightmare to
include an article that would never appear in MR today:

https://louisproyect.org/2011/05/04/monthly-reviews-love-affair-with-the-al-assad-dynasty/

Apparently Paul Sweezy and Harry Magdoff had the ability to see through
the bourgeois nationalist con games of the Middle East, at least on the
evidence of an article titled “The Coups in Iraq and Syria”, written by
Tabitha Petran, that appeared in the May 1963 Monthly Review.

Petran minces no words, beginning her article as follows:

	The recent coups in Iraq and Syria realize the six-year-old Eisenhower
Doctrine’s goal of anti-Communist “Arab unity” under United States
protection. The coups’ authors are the international oil interests, the
U.S., and their local placemen—the Baath and Arab Nationalist
(Nasserist) parties, assorted militarists and feudal left over from
Hashemite rule in Iraq, and in Syria elements from the right-wing of the
Moslem Brotherhood.

She dubs Baathism as an amalgam of demagogy and petty-bourgeois social
reforms that is “widely regarded as an instrument of American
imperialism”. It is so interesting to see the final dregs of this system
being hoisted on the shoulders of John Bellamy Foster, John Mage and
Yoshie Furuhashi.

Petran’s article decries the wholesale slaughter of Communists in Iraq,
a crime that no longer tends to bother the MR group based on Furuhashi’s
grotesque attempts to provide ex post facto excuses for the slaughter of
radicals in Khomeini’s Iran in the early 1980s. These “divisive”
elements obviously stood in the way of creating strong states that might
become part of counter-hegemonic blocs. Back in the early 60s
apparently, MR magazine viewed class criteria as having priority over
that kind of leftist realpolitik.