[Marxism] Fwd: "The Assad Regime is a Moral Disgrace": Noam Chomsky on Ongoing Syrian War | Democracy Now!

Nick Fredman nick.j.fredman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 18:39:56 MDT 2017

On the contrary I reckon he's just saying here what he's said for several
years, whether you've agreed or disagreed with some or all of it. A search
such as
https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=noam+chomsky+assad&start=20&*
shows apart from his recent comments, comments from the last several years
that include plenty of descriptors of Assad like "monstrous", "criminal"
etc. — along with his scepticism of a US/NATO conspiracy or consistent
policy of regime change, being critical of some rebels as reactionary
jihadists, recognising there's some democratic elements left among the
rebels, being guardedly supportive of the PYD-led movement, recognising
Assad has to go by some process. I can't say I've followed him in any
detail or would agree with everything he's said but on the face of it
these I think positions pretty sensible, consistently progressive and in
tune with the facts as far as we can determine them.

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 6:30 AM, Louis Proyect via Marxism <