[Marxism] Communist Manifesto YouTube Channel

David McMullen dfmcmullen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 20:46:04 MDT 2017

Whoops the Subject line should have read Communist Manifesto Project
YouTube Channel.

It's an addition to my website

https://sites.google.com/site/communistmanifestoproject/

I have centred the website around the Communist Manifesto because I
thought it was a good way of helping to bring out the fact  that current
Marxists have nothing in common with Marx and Engels.

The website includes a little booklet called "Rescuing the Message of
The Communist Manifesto: the revolutionary role of capitalism."

https://sites.google.com/site/communistmanifestoproject/files/aug23.pdf?attredirects=0&d=1

This is the preamble

In/The Communist Manifesto/of 1848, Marx and Engels place heavy stress
on the revolutionary role of capitalism. It drags humanity out of
economic and social backwardness, and changes us from peasants into
proletarians. By doing this, capitalism removes the only insurmountable
obstacle to a classless communist society. Such a society ceases to be
pie in the sky, and instead becomes something made possible by
historically created conditions. The  more that capitalism displaces the
old conditions the better the basis for a revolutionary transition.

Present-day anti-capitalists do not share this view,  even those who
claim to be Marxists. They believe capitalism is destroying a past that
should be preserved and is leading us down a path from which we must
retreat. Marx and Engels in their day had to contend with similar
people, and indeed part of chapter 3 of/The Communist Manifesto/is
devoted to them. As with popes and princes, their anti-capitalism is
reactionary rather than revolutionary.

At the same time, this message of/The Communist Manifesto /is ignored by
those for whom capitalism is the best of all possible worlds. It gets in
the way of their "communism has failed" mantra which they base on
abortive 20th century revolutions in backward and essentially
pre-capitalist regions. This experience in fact only confirms the
proposition that communism can only successfully emerge from advanced
capitalism. Marx and Engels would not have been surprised by the outcome.

Even while capitalism’s eventual grave digger, the proletariat,
continues its fitful slumber, the world still moves forward. Capitalism
proceeds on its development path, knocking down obstacles to a more
advanced classless society. By mid-century if the uneven and erratic
development trajectory of recent decades in poorer countries is
maintained we will see considerable progress towards a world where
industrial modernity is the norm, a world in which capitalism has run
its course and has no future.