[Marxism] Fwd: Armenia’s Trail of Tears

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Apr 7 07:57:13 MDT 2017

On April 21st, “The Promise” will be opening in New York and then
scheduled for nationwide release in 1,500 theaters. It has much in
common both politically and artistically with “Bitter Harvest” that I
reviewed for CounterPunch on February 24th. That film dealt with
Stalin’s brutal imposition of forced collectivization that had the
unintended consequence of leaving millions of Ukrainians starving to
death. “The Promise” is about how the Young Turks expelled the Armenian
population from the desiccated husk of the Ottoman Empire as it began to
take shape as modern Turkey during WWI.

As I said in my review of “Bitter Harvest”, neither of these historical
events could be compared to the Judeocide since Hitler’s death camps
were meant to exterminate a race on an industrialized, assembly-line
basis. Although there were mass killings in both Ukraine and eastern
Anatolia, most of the deaths were the result of putting a population
under such duress that sickness and death were inevitable. I have always
thought of the Armenian expulsion as Turkey’s version of Andrew
Jackson’s “Trail of Tears”. Did Jackson intend for one-out-of-three
Cherokees to perish on their long trek to Oklahoma? If the removal of
Indians and Armenians were critical to the formation of a modern state
based on “enlightenment values” (the Young Turks strongly identified
with the French Revolution), wasn’t there a productivist logic to ethnic
cleansing? I reject this kind of argument but at least want to establish
that there are both American and Turkish historians who would take great
umbrage at the idea of a genocide taking place in their nation.

full: http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/04/07/armenias-trail-of-tears/