[Marxism] Fwd: Syria, The Left, and The World

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Apr 7 20:25:18 MDT 2017

Yassin al-Haj Saleh interview.

Assad’s regime is in no way secular, it is sectarian and securitarian.
When it comes to the Islamic World, many I the west tend to adopt what I
call Huntingtonian secularism, defining secularism in an oversimplifying
culturalist way as something against Islam, completely detached from
politics, social and economic affairs, and from individual and
collective dignity. Most people in the west simply know nothing about
Syria. Most of the press coverage of Syria is made of simplifications
that show Bashar Assad in expensive suits and neckties, maybe his rich
and elegant wife, usually with insinuations to his Alawi minority,
meaning he is not from the Sunni Muslim majority, from whom minorities
should be protected. Many of these coverages are imbued with
Islamophobic sentiments. These factors made it easier for many to
identify with the thuggish regime far more than with those who were
invisible for years and decades, and are now rising up against it.

full:
http://aljumhuriya.net/en/the-role-of-the-intellectual/syria_the_left_and_the_world