[Marxism] Pro-government marchers flood Venezuela’s capital amid right-wing violence, coup threats

Chris Slee chris_w_slee at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 22 21:22:35 MDT 2017

https://www.greenleft.org.au/content/pro-government-marchers-flood-venezuela%E2%80%99s-capital-amid-right-wing-violence-coup-threats

Tens of thousands of Venezuelans took to the streets of the capital on April 19 in huge pro-government rallies marking the country’s independence day.  Thousands of right-wing opposition also took to the streets in often violent protests. The day after the large pro- and anti-government marches, more right-wing violence broke out. The government accused opposition protesters of attacking public institutions, including a maternity hospital, on April 20. Ten people were also confirmed dead after a riot in Caracas. On April 19, thousands of red-clad supporters of President Nicolas Maduro mobilised in four separate marches that culminated in a mass rally along Bolivar Avenue in downtown Caracas. “I am here to support the Revolution … because I love my country,” one marcher told Venezuelanalysis.com. “I’m a Chavista in the flesh and I support Chavez and Maduro.