[Marxism] Fwd: "They tried to supplant mainstream media": Jane Mayer on the billionaire behind Bannon and Trump - Vox

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Apr 28 05:48:53 MDT 2017

Sean Illing
What is most unusual about the kind of influence Robert Mercer has had
over our political process in general and Donald Trump in particular?

Jane Mayer
Mercer holds a lot of highly eccentric views on issues such as the
positive health benefits of being exposed to nuclear radiation. He’s
argued, for instance, that there was a silver lining to the atomic bomb
damage in Hiroshima and Nagasaki: Outside of the immediate blast zone,
he believes, the Japanese benefitted from the low-level radiation.
There’s no support for this theory, according to the National Academy of
Sciences.

In my view, it is alarming that someone with such unscientifically
supported views concerning the ostensible upside of nuclear war would be
as close as he is to the president of the United States. More generally,
it’s obviously great to have a variety of opinions, and all kinds of
eccentrics in the United States. But what’s not so great is when people
whose views would disqualify them from ever getting elected manage to
wield power all the same, simply because they have enough money to buy
influence.

full:
http://www.vox.com/conversations/2017/4/7/15105712/donald-trump-jane-mayer-robert-mercer-steve-bannon-republican-party