[Marxism] Fwd: From philosophy to psychoanalysis: a classic Freudian move | Aeon Essays

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Aug 11 05:31:15 MDT 2017

 From 1895 onwards, Freud uncompromisingly rejected the philosophical
orthodoxy of his day – the twin assumptions of body-mind dualism and the
equation of mentality with consciousness. In place of the former, he
argued that our mental processes are processes within a physical organ –
the human brain – rather than a non-physical mind. This physicalist
stance was, although not entirely unheard of at the time, certainly bold
and unusual. Freud also rejected the view that we can investigate the
mind through introspection, because ‘it follows, from the postulate of
consciousness providing neither complete nor trustworthy knowledge of
the neuronal processes that these are … to be regarded as unconscious
and are to be inferred like other natural things’.

https://aeon.co/essays/from-philosophy-to-psychoanalysis-a-classic-freudian-move