[Marxism] Fwd: The Constituent Assembly: Venezuelan Thermidor?

Gary MacLennan gary.maclennan1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 04:44:21 MDT 2017

I hope sincerely Comrade Joaquin will not mind me sending this to the
list.  It is truly meant in the best spirit of dialog between comrades.  I
sent his post to my good friend  and comrade Jim McIlroy who is the joint
author of a book on Chavez Voices from Venezuela : behind the Bolivarian
Revolution . <http://nla.gov.au/anbd.bib-an43957179>

Jim sent me the post below and agreed that I could send it to the list.

comradely

Gary
<http://nla.gov.au/anbd.bib-an43957179>

Hi Gary,
  I haven't got time at present to give a detailed commentary on this
[Joaquin's] article, but the general point is that we on the left have to
decide which side we are on in the final instance.

  (This year is the centenary of the Russian Revolution. No doubt there
were similar commentaries by Western leftists about the "undemocratic"
nature of the October Revolution. Maduro is definitely not Lenin, by the
way).
  Whatever the, very real, mistakes of the Maduro government, and their
political weaknesses, the stakes are clear in Venezuela: No volvaran! (No
return to the past!)
  The article is full of errors...eg, contrary to the coverage, the
majority of deaths in the violence have come directly or in-directly from
the right-wing opposition.
  His stuff on the Constituent Assembly is pure sophistry. The analogy with
Thermidor/Bonapartism is ridiculous. The CA may be a turning point in the
crisis, if the masses can successfully move to the centre of Venezuelan
politics again.
  The best source of information on Venezuela is Telesur English,
venezuelanalysis.com, and dare I say Green Left Weekly (a couple of good
articles in there this week).
  I will send you some more material on all this when I get time,

  Venceremos!

  Jim Mc.