[Marxism] Fwd: California Typewriter; The Shopkeeper | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Aug 18 06:23:21 MDT 2017

Two documentaries have come my way that raise important questions about
the digital revolution as well as providing much more entertainment than
Dunkirk and Detroit put together, even if this might be a case of
setting the bar too low.

“California Typewriter” is a beautiful homage to the antiquated machine
that people my age used long before personal computers took over while
“The Shopkeeper” is a nostalgic look at the recording industry in its
prime and how streaming services like Spotify and Pandora threaten to
pauperize performing artists to the point of making them as antiquated
as a typewriter. The shopkeeper in question is Mark Hallman, the founder
of the Congress House, the longest continually operating recording
studio in Austin, Texas.

However, both films hold out the possibility of keeping such “relics”
alive since as Camus once said, “Every act of rebellion expresses a
nostalgia for innocence and an appeal to the essence of being.”

full:
https://louisproyect.org/2017/08/18/california-typewriter-the-shopkeeper/