[Marxism] The labor movement in British Columbia confronts the ultraright

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Aug 20 16:43:52 MDT 2017

(It is a mass movement that can involve labor, not adolescent hijinks.)

 From the BC Government Employees Union

Begin forwarded message:

     From: Stephanie Smith <communications at bcgeu.ca>
     Date: August 17, 2017 at 9:45:43 AM PDT
     To: Romy Charles <romy.charles at gmail.com>
     Subject: Standing against hatred in our communities

     Romy,

     I know I’m not the only one that was deeply disturbed by the racist
hatred, intolerance and bigotry in Charlottesville over the weekend. The
murder of an anti-racist demonstrator by a radicalized white supremacist
is a sad development for American society. For us in Canada it should be
a call to action, to all who refuse to sit idly by and ignore the growth
of those hateful ideologies.

     Inspired by white supremacists in America this kind of hate is
boldly rearing its head in our back yard. This Saturday, there is a
racist rally being organized at Vancouver City Hall by hate groups.

     I’m asking anyone willing and able to join with their coworkers and
neighbours to counter the hateful rally being planned by these groups.
When we come together to deny fascists the opportunity to flaunt their
strength we show solidarity and build strong bonds between working people.

     WHAT: Working People Stand Up Against Racism

     WHERE:  South Side, City Hall Skytrain Station (In the parking lot)

     WHEN: Convene at 12:00 PM, march to rally at 12:30 PM

     We must show that together we are much stronger, and better
organized than they will ever be. These solidarity actions sustain the
movement for tolerance and inclusion, and damage the ability of
extremists to attract and radicalize new members into their warped
campaign of hatred.

     For all those interested, we are using this event to coordinate our
solidarity action. Feel free to spread it far and wide to other workers
you know. We will be meeting at a rendezvous point close to City Hall
where we will distribute BCGEU flags as well as sign making materials.

     Shortly after noon, we will march together to the location of the
demonstration to support our friends and allies in standing up to racists.

     WHAT: Working People Stand Up Against Racism

     WHERE:  South Side, City Hall Skytrain Station (In the parking lot)

     WHEN: Convene at 12:00 PM, march to rally at 12:30 PM

     When you RSVP be sure to invite your co-workers to stand in
solidarity with you against the forces of hatred because when we stand
together we stand strong. Let’s show that hate has no place in our back
yard.

     Here's the link to the facebook event:
https://www.facebook.com/events/953643018116651/

     See you at the rally,