[Marxism] French farmer suicide epidemic

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Aug 21 09:52:25 MDT 2017

Three years ago to the day, I wrote an article for Counterpunch
(https://www.counterpunch.org/…/22/gunning-for-vandana-shiva/) answering
a filthy attack on Vandana Shiva in the New Yorker Magazine by a guy
named Michael Specter that included this:

	Once again resorting to dodgy ratios, Specter tries to turn the peasant
suicide epidemic in India into an urban legend by assuring readers that
it is “comparable” to those in France. If your image of the French
countryside is that of a plump, prosperous and happy petite-bourgeoisie
smiling at overflowing cornucopias of sunflower seeds and artichokes,
then maybe this makes sense. But the truth is that France is suffering
as well. Between 2007 and 2009, male farmers were 20 percent more likely
to commit suicide than in other professions. Indeed, a farmer killed
himself every two days, in nearly all instances because of economic
ruin—the same problem that is driving Indian farmers to kill themselves.

Today, the NY Times confirms what I wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/…/w…/europe/france-farm-suicide.html