[Marxism] Fwd: The demise of Arab-Kurdish solidarity in Syria

Nick Fredman nick.j.fredman at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 18:56:08 MDT 2017

On Sat, 26 Aug 2017 at 10:24 am, Chris Slee via Marxism <
marxism at lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:

> I disagree with Mrie's interpretation of what happened in July 2012.  In
> fact there was a largely peaceful uprising in Kurdish areas.  People
> surrounded military posts and called on the soldiers to surrender, which in
> most cases they did.  (See Revolution in Rojava, by Michael Knapp, Anja
> Flach and Ercan Ayboga, Pluto Press, 2016, p. 54-56)

I've seen the existence of the "agreement" for Assad to happily hand over a
big chunk of his territory and population asserted a number of times,
though without ever an atom of evidence (I don't count Roy Gutman's fevered
account from an anonymous source in his silly Nation articles of a fiendish
Iranian SPECTER agent brokering this deal as evidence). Note Knapp, Flach
and Ayboga's account of the uprising is based on the reports of a Vice News
team which went to Rojava a week after the uprising, as well as the 150
interviews they conducted themselves there in 2014 and 2016, which included
numerous participants in the events (which did include some fighting and
casualties). It's Alex Jones style conspiracy therorising to assert that
all these accounts are fake news.