[Marxism] Fwd: In Houston, Anxiety and Frantic Rescues as Floodwaters Rise - The New York Times

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Aug 28 08:36:00 MDT 2017

Elsewhere, ghostly scenes underscored the destruction in a place long
seen as one of the nation’s most dynamic generators of growth and
prosperity. Near the Galleria, Houston’s famous shopping mall, a stretch
of South Rice Avenue had more than two feet of water in some places.

Gloria Maria Quintanilla appeared as a speck on the horizon, wading
through waist-high waters in the middle of the road with a sack thrust
over one shoulder and an umbrella perched on the other. Ms. Quintanilla,
60, seemed to epitomize Houston’s work ethic, its resolve and its shock.

“I worked at the hotel up there,” she said when a reporter approached.
As she walked, she explained that she was an immigrant from El Salvador,
here since 1982. She makes $10 an hour washing and ironing sheets and
towels at the Doubletree.

She had started the journey from home more than an hour before.

“It was my day to work, and I’m a very responsible person,” she said,
speaking in Spanish. “I had no idea it was going to be like this.”

full: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/27/us/hurricane-harvey-texas.html