[Marxism] Exaggerating the threat posed by fascist groups

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Aug 28 18:49:18 MDT 2017

One last thing: I am not downplaying the threat of right-wing politics
and racism in America. Donald Trump is the president, after all. But I
tend to think that the biggest threats from the right come from the
Republican Party, not the Klan and the Dominionists and the neo-Nazis
and whatever Richard Spencer’s thing is called. (Even Spencer’s hometown
hates him.) And when we fixate on the outright fascists, the people who
have “organized street forces,” we are missing the more significant
threat, which comes from the halls of state capitol buildings. You can
(and should) care about both threats, of course, but it’s important to
keep them in proportion, to weight each in accordance with its power and
consequences. And it’s not that Berlet and Wilson are necessarily wrong
that the white supremacists are rising, it’s that they are not
trustworthy guides, because they don’t respond to the tough questions or
show an instinct for self-criticism. And that’s why I think it’s
perfectly fair for us to say that the state of the far right is
unknowable. It’s unknowable because those who study it don’t seem
committed to evaluating it cautiously.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/08/why-we-dont-like-hysterical-journalists