[Marxism] [SUSPICIOUS MESSAGE] Harvey Victims Face Hurdles, and Maybe Bills, in Getting Aid

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Aug 31 09:37:25 MDT 2017

(Through their unwise real estate development, the Houston bourgeoisie
created conditions that destroyed peoples' homes. Now they are being
forced to take out loans to compensate for capitalist recklessness.)

NY Times, August 31, 2017
Harvey Victims Face Hurdles, and Maybe Bills, in Getting Aid
By STACY COWLEY

As a brutal storm continues to pound the Gulf Coast, tens of thousands
of homeowners are turning to the government for help in repairing and
rebuilding. Much of the aid they receive will require taking on debt —
an unpleasant surprise to those who may lack the income to pay it back.

And as victims of past disasters can attest, that aid may be cumbersome
to obtain, insufficient to cover the cost of reconstruction, and take
years to fully pay out.

Government officials emphasize that the federal programs are meant to
supplement, not replace, insurance and other financial buffers against
catastrophe. But even more than victims of other disasters, those who
have lost homes and businesses to what was once Hurricane Harvey are
likely to need substantial help.

More than 40,000 households affected by the storm have so far been
approved for assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency,
according to Mark J. Peterson, an agency spokesman.

Flooding inflicted much of the storm’s damage, but few in the affected
areas have flood insurance — and even those who do will often face
rebuilding costs exceeding what their insurance will cover.

Jamette Riley Moyer of Rockport, Tex., a coastal town near Corpus
Christi, is among those navigating the federal aid labyrinth. The storm
smashed her rental home into a pile of timber and shattered furniture,
destroying nearly everything she owned.

After evacuating to emergency housing — a hotel four hours away that
agreed to shelter Mrs. Moyer’s family and their two dogs — she moved on
to the next urgent task: applying for aid on DisasterAssistance.gov.

But one of the first responses she received from FEMA confused her: a
suggestion that she apply for a Small Business Administration loan.

“Why do I have to apply for an SBA loan for disaster assistance?” Mrs.
Moyer wrote on Twitter. “I am a person not a small business!”

It is a common reaction to the unusual role that the Small Business
Administration plays in disaster recovery. The agency, best known for
its business loan programs, is the federal government’s main avenue for
providing quick cash to help victims repair or replace damaged housing
and property after a disaster.

FEMA provides some short-term aid for urgent needs — such as medical
help and temporary housing — but it steers applicants toward the
S.B.A.’s disaster loans for long-term recovery help.

Renters and homeowners are eligible for S.B.A. loans of up to $40,000 to
cover property losses, and homeowners can borrow up to $200,000 for
repairs to real estate. The rates on those loans range from 1.75 percent
to 3.5 percent — far lower than other options like credit cards or bank
loans — and the terms on them can stretch as long as 30 years.

But the idea of receiving cash — and then a bill for it later — is often
unappealing to those facing a precarious financial future.

“I’m not taking the loan until we know if we can pay it back,” Mrs.
Moyer, 43, said in an interview. She is retired, and her husband was
laid off shortly before the storm. “If I don’t take the money, then what
happens to disaster relief for me?”

That reckoning is familiar to many who have experienced past disasters.

Five years after Hurricane Sandy ravaged coastal areas in New York and
New Jersey, many residents and business owners in affected neighborhoods
are still trying to collect all of the assistance they had been promised.

“It’s become a monstrosity,” Michele Insinga, executive director of
Adopt a House, a nonprofit recovery group in Lindenhurst, N.Y., said of
the bureaucracy that developed around Sandy relief. “There are so many
horror stories from people who are still putting their lives back together.”

Beth Henry, 44, had her two-story home in Massapequa, N.Y., destroyed
when Sandy flooded it with three feet of water. She qualified for an
S.B.A. disaster loan, but found that it would cost her more than $900 a
month to repay it.

“I’m not sure who can pay that kind of loan, on top of their mortgage,”
Ms. Henry said.

She instead borrowed from her family and drained her savings while
wrangling with her flood insurance carrier — the National Flood
Insurance Program, a federal program troubled by insufficient funding.
In the end, she collected just $51,000 from the program, far less than
it had cost her to rebuild.

Because Ms. Henry qualified for an S.B.A. loan, she was ineligible for
any grants from FEMA to offset the cost of repairing her home. She
eventually received help from another federally funded Sandy-relief
program, the NY Rising Community Reconstruction Program, but the $36,371
she collected from that grant came nearly two years after the storm.

“The money was not free-flowing,” Ms. Henry said. “It was a real battle,
and a long one.”

For Harvey’s survivors, that battle is just beginning. Even for those
who choose not to take an S.B.A. loan, applying for one is often a
necessary first step. The agency said it had received 253 applications
from those affected by the storm, and the department’s administrator,
Linda McMahon — who traveled with President Trump to Texas on Tuesday —
said that at least one home repair loan had already been approved.

But for Mrs. Moyer, the red-tape-wrapped bureaucracy of federal aid
feels like a second disaster in the making.

On Wednesday, FEMA asked her to return to her destroyed home, hours away
from where she is staying, to meet with an inspector. At the same time
the S.B.A. requested that she print and fax in her loan application —
which would require her to find a printer and a fax machine in the
middle of a disaster. (The agency said people will be able to apply in
person through FEMA recovery centers, but none had opened yet in the
places affected by Harvey.)

“I’m just really losing it,” Mrs. Moyer said. “I loved this town and
it’s just gone — it’s like a war zone. It’s just too much.”