[Marxism] Fwd: The French Origins of “You Will Not Replace Us” | The New Yorker

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Dec 1 06:23:35 MST 2017

[Renaud] Camus has become one of the most cited figures on the right in
France. He is a regular interlocutor of such mainstream intellectuals as
Alain Finkielkraut, the conservative Jewish philosopher, who has called
Camus “a great writer,” and someone who has “forged an expression that
is heard all the time and everywhere.” Camus also has prominent critics:
the essayist and novelist Emmanuel Carrère, a longtime friend, has
publicly reproached him, writing that “the argument ‘I’m at home here,
not you’ ” is incompatible with “globalized justice.” Mark Lilla, the
Columbia historian and scholar of the mentality of European
reactionaries, described Camus as “a kind of connective tissue between
the far right and the respectable right.” Camus can play the role of
“respectable” reactionary because his opposition to multicultural
globalism is plausibly high-minded, principally aesthetic, even
well-mannered—a far cry from the manifest brutality of the skinheads and
the tattooed white nationalists who could put into action the xenophobic
ideas expressed in “Le Grand Remplacement.” (At a rally in Warsaw on
November 11th, white-nationalist demonstrators brandished signs saying
“Pray for an Islamic Holocaust” and “Pure Poland, White Poland.”) When I
asked Camus whether he considered me—a black American living in Paris
with a French wife and a mixed-race daughter—part of the problem, he
genially replied, “There is nothing more French than an American in
Paris!” He then offered me the use of his castle when he and his partner
next went on a vacation.

full:
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/12/04/the-french-origins-of-you-will-not-replace-us