[Marxism] In the Fade

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Dec 13 12:53:59 MST 2017

Last Sunday I took part in the yearly awards meeting of NY Film Critics
Online. The winners are here. I was generally okay with the choices except
for “Mudbound” and “Lady Bird” that I considered overrated. But then
again, I consider capitalism overrated.

When it came time to vote for best foreign language film, I had to ask a
colleague what “In the Fade” was about, the hands down winner. He told me
it was about a German woman named Katja seeking justice after a bomb kills
her Kurdish husband and their young son. Oh, that one. I had completely
forgotten about it. That’s what happens when you get to my age.

At first, the cops conduct an investigation assuming that the man was
killed for political reasons but change gears after it becomes clear that
he was no activist despite his Kurdish origins. Next they surmise that it
might have been a hit carried out by the Turkish, Kurdish or Albanian
mafia since he had once spent four years in prison for a drug trafficking
conviction. Katja tells them that he would not jeopardize their lives by
dealing drugs. She added that she suspected it was Nazis who set off the
bomb on the doorstep of the street level tax processing office he worked
out of in a neighborhood that was home to many immigrants.

It turns out that she was right.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2017/12/13/in-the-fade/