[Marxism] Fwd: Wind River; Hostiles | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Dec 22 07:28:41 MST 2017

“Wind River” and “Hostiles”, two of this year’s highly praised films and
clear-cut Oscar bait, have a number of things in common. They both
feature bankable white male stars in leading roles as good-hearted
saviors of indigenous peoples in the time-honored (speaking charitably)
tradition of “Dances with Wolves”: Jeremy Renner and Christian Bale.
They also were directed and written by white males who made the
transition from acting careers: Taylor Sheridan and Scott Cooper. And,
finally, they are both marred by political and artistic shortcomings.
After making the case for them being rated “rotten” on Rotten Tomatoes,
I will conclude with some thoughts on what might go into a Hollywood
film about native peoples although I doubt The Weinstein Company (the
distributor of “Wind River” that was cut loose by Taylor Sheridan after
news broke about its sexual predator boss) would be interested.

This review will reveal the endings of both films but I doubt that by
the time you get to that point in the article, you’ll have little
interest in seeing either of them.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2017/12/22/wind-river-hostiles/