[Marxism] What is the Green Party missing?

Andrew Stewart hasc.warrior.stew at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 12:20:47 MST 2017

I'd like to just push back on this sentence in particular, "Andrew's
article overlooked this important aspect.   The CPUSA was also not a
democratic decision making group, or welcomed members holding different
views and being critical thinkers - just "loyal followers"."

The record is quite clear in recent scholarship and demonstrative of quite
the opposite. Since the 1960s and the New Left's 'social history' prism was
developed it has been beyond dispute that things were not as simple as that
statement would suggest. Most of the material I have seen is emphatic that
the mass membership base either paid the mildest lip service to or just
blatantly ignored the dictates of the leadership superstructure, be it in
America or Moscow. This claim is fundamentally one that is derived from the
Theodore Draper line of historiography on the party, which is a very right
wing discourse and devoted to viewing the party as a homogeneous grouping
rather than heterogeneous. Draper did not differentiate between the New
York and California parties, though they were extremely different in style
due to their proximity to the national leadership, or articulate the fact
that Wm. Z Foster brought to the party from the beginning a syndicalist
vision that was different from the praxis of other national parties.

-Andrew Stewart