[Marxism] Iran protest

Jeff meisner at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 31 13:22:56 MST 2017

On 2017-12-31 20:18, Ron Jacobs via Marxism wrote:

> Chris Slee wrote " there's no doubt that this is a genuine people's
> uprising..."
> Actually, there's plenty of doubt

Ron,

It really sounds like you've given up on progressive protest/action
taken up by the working class (or equally bad, that this will only
happen under the magical leadership of a particular vanguard party).
When Chris wrote that "there was no doubt," that was because it is
obvious when protests erupt more or less spontaneously on that scale,
that it wasn't simply staged. Unless you're believing in an unlikely
conspiracy theory. Yes, it was acknowledged that rightist elements may
have initiated protest action but that doesn't explain the "uprising"
that we are talking about. As long as the protests are being repressed,
you can be sure that all kinds of right wing and anti-Iran forces in the
world will be "protesting" with them, verbally that is. I just hope the
left doesn't repeat the enemy-of-my-enemy mistake that largely prevented
solidarity with the Syrian revolution, where similar concerns were
cited.

- Jeff