[Marxism] Revolutions Conference, Winnipeg September 2017

Ken Hiebert knhiebert at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 2 11:24:44 MST 2017

http://geopoliticaleconomy.org/revolutions-conference-2017/

In the 100th anniversary year of the Russian Revolutions, our conference focuses on the theme of revolution. We want to speak to the widespread and widely varying causes, contexts, conditions and consequences of modern revolutions. There are many types, of course, but we are primarily interested in the often spectacular political, social or economic events that confront particular institutional, social and ideological regimes. The revolts of colonized, enslaved and indigenous peoples from Tyrone, Toussaint, Tupac and Tecumseh, through the revolutions which defined the west like the English and the French to today's Bolivarian, Arab Spring, and colour revolutions, have transformed politics, state structures, economies, cultures and societies. Revolutions require imagination: ideologies motivate actors, events confound them and prompt new explanations. By some accounts, we are still living in age of revolutions; others question their possibility to