[Marxism] Fwd: Nazi Youth as Human Mine Detonators

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Feb 10 05:36:26 MST 2017

As World War Two came to an end, Denmark was faced with the task of
clearing thousands of mines that the Nazis had planted in the beaches of
the country’s west coast in expectation of an allied landing that took
place instead at Normandy. The clean-up job was made simple by the
availability of 2000 German POW’s who were ordered to crawl across the
beaches with a simple metal rod that would be plunged into the sand to
detect one of the 1.5 million hidden mines. If a Nazi beast blew himself
up in the process, it would be like killing two birds with one stone.
Had Quentin Tarantino made such a film, it would have been a real
laugher with body parts flying everywhere, especially if he used 3D.

In “Land of Mine,” Danish director Martin Zandvliet has defied
conventional thinking on this historical episode and made the best
narrative film I have seen this year, one that I recommend highly to
CounterPunch readers. It opens on Friday at Laemmle’s in Los Angeles and
at the Angelika and Lincoln Plaza in New York with a national rollout
soon to follow.

full:
http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/02/10/nazi-youth-as-human-mine-detonators/