[Marxism] On the black bloc

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Feb 10 11:02:51 MST 2017

On 2/10/17 12:49 PM, Jeffrey Masko wrote:
> I agree in many ways with you Louis, but you miss some important points.
> What you say may be true in the U.S. at this point in time. But Ultras
> from football clubs from Egypt to Turkey to the Ukraine, are no
> strangers to what are essentially black block tactics; they have been
> instrumental in fighting security forces and keeping people protesting
> safe. When the left understanding that the so-called lumpen and laborers
> are the fighters that the police state most fears and until we actively
> recruits them, then the black block in the U.S. will be composed of
> people as soft as puppy shit. No revolutionary actions that forcefully
> confronts the state will ever be taken with the PMC in the lead. Of
> course one can say the so-called lumpen are counter-revolutionary or
> reactionary, but perhaps because people are not organizing in those
> spaces, they might be surprised. I tutor people who were incarcerated
> and the know the score and are waiting for their chance. But one thing
> they will not be doing, is following middle class academics and
> self-proclaimed activists. And I know the you have seen only white
> people, but come to Oakland and see the diversity of those working in
> black blocks.

I understand the need for fighting the cops. Peter Camejo's memoir deals
with the People's Park struggle in Berkeley that was sort of a miniature
version of the May-June events in France in 1968.

http://tinyurl.com/z7tnx73

But the purpose is not to stage confrontations with the cops but to
build massive protests that when attacked can defend themselves using
tactics appropriate to the situation.

The people involved in the January 20th action in Washington were not a
detachment of a mass movement. They were like the Weathermen in 1969, a
small band out for what Lenin called revolutionary adventurism.