[Marxism] TPP is Not Dead: It’s Now Called the Trade In Services Agreement

MM marxmail00 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 13:41:40 MST 2017

> On Feb 10, 2017, at 1:26 PM, Louis Proyect via Marxism <marxism at lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:
>
> http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/02/10/tpp-is-not-dead-its-now-called-the-trade-in-services-agreement/ <http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/02/10/tpp-is-not-dead-its-now-called-the-trade-in-services-agreement/>

This piece contains plenty of good information about an enormously important topic, but I believe its suggestion that TiSA is a replacement for, or resurrection of, TPP is incorrect (possibly a rhetorical move to get people’s attention, but if so I think a misguided one). TiSA’s origins pre-date the failure of TPP (and TTIP) and essentially from inception it has been part of a strategy of interlocking agreements to bypass the challenge to U.S. hegemony posed by developing countries through the WTO process, which crashed the Doha round of negotiations. Here’s a good brief overview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw7P0RGZQxQ <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw7P0RGZQxQ>