[Marxism] Fwd: The Cost of Defying the President - The New Yorker

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Feb 13 06:32:01 MST 2017

Officially, my father was the president of the Newark tower branch, or
“local,” of patco. Given his charisma and penchant for theatrics,
however, he was often asked to speak to the press. By default, he became
a very public face in the Northeast region. His would be a high-profile
arrest. At home, watching the evening news, it was easy for me to
picture my dad, heroically defiant, in handcuffs and leg irons, being
led across the screen. The image turned fearsome when I thought about
what would happen to him after I turned off the television.

In reality, I had little reason to fear. My father would never have
suffered the indignity of a jail cell. The night of the picket line, he
went on the lam, and I didn’t see him for a week. When he did return
home, he was careful not to park on our street in case the marshals
drove by looking for him. In the days following the strike, the Justice
Department arrested a handful of union officials, and issued indictments
for dozens more. My father escaped legal prosecution, but suffered in
other ways.

full:
http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/the-cost-of-defying-the-president