[Marxism] Fwd: Gallup poll: Trump approval rating at new low - CNNPolitics.com Gary MacLennan

Ken Hiebert knhiebert at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 14 09:01:56 MST 2017

Gary MacLennan said:

What worries me is that he is getting 40% approval rating.  Who are those
guys?

Ken Hiebert replies:
It is not unusual for people who are frightened or in despair to cling to hope.  And many people in the US are frightened and in despair.

I recall a the story of German soldiers at Stalingrad.  They were surrounded and under siege.  They heard a battle perhaps 30 miles away.  They were infused with hope that they would be relieved shortly.  They prepared for that by destroying what they could not take with them.  They even burned winter clothing they did not wish to leave behind.

For many their hopes were expressed in the Stalingrad Madonna.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalingrad_Madonna