[Marxism] Fwd: The new pragmatism: Paul Collier on how to save capitalism

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Feb 15 06:00:30 MST 2017

Meanwhile, the only contemporary eruptions from the Left are pantomime
Marxism. In the decade preceding the demise of Communism there was an
upsurge in books predicting the demise of capitalism, and memories have
evidently receded sufficiently to support a revival. The ideological
vanguard will find Wolfgang Streeck’s How Will Capitalism End?
satisfyingly turgid and pretentious, while for the useful idiots I
recommend Peter Frase’s Four Futures: Life after capitalism as
engagingly inspirational. If you enjoy these books, you may also, as the
phrase goes, enjoy Harry Potter. Yet, while capitalism at last stands
electorally victorious and philosophically without serious rival, its
performance has become manifestly unsatisfactory. Its core credential of
steadily rising general living standards has been badly tarnished: a
majority now expect their children’s lives to be worse than their own.
It is time for “The Future of Capitalism”. Unfortunately, nobody has yet
successfully written that book. In its absence, I will try to weave
something from the strands of recent contributions to the field.

full: http://www.the-tls.co.uk/articles/public/how-to-save-capitalism/