[Marxism] Fwd: The West's lamentable myopia

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Feb 16 15:58:35 MST 2017

Q: You were jailed by the Assad regime for sixteen years. The reason
given was your membership of the Syrian Communist Party. Can you briefly
describe what happened to you?

Yassin al-Haj Saleh: Firstly let me explain the historical background of
communism in Syria. A rift developed in the Syrian Communist Party (SCP)
in 1972 on issues relating to the dependence on the Soviet Union and the
understanding of various Syrian and Arab issues. Another important topic
at that time was the liberation of Palestine and the Arab League.
Subsequently, the party′s attitude towards the Assad regime also became
important. One faction sought independence from the Soviet Union and
adopted a more radical stance towards Israel. The other one towed the
Soviet line and allied itself with the Assad regime. I belonged to the
former.

I was a medical student and politically active at the University of
Aleppo when I was arrested. We were crushed as a party because we
actively opposed the regime, not because we were communists. People with
different ideological backgrounds were good for the regime. As long as
they were obedient, they were free to be communists, Islamists or Arab
and Kurdish nationalists. As soon as they crossed the line, they were
eliminated.

For Hafez al-Assad′s regime absolute power over the population of Syria
and the surrounding region, including Lebanon and Palestine, was top
priority. Opposing this regime of political slavery was considered the
gravest crime. I was one of many who rebelled. However, I would never
have believed that I would end up in jail for sixteen years. I even
spent one year in Syria′s infamous torture prison, Tadmur.

full:
https://en.qantara.de/content/interview-with-syrian-dissident-yassin-al-haj-saleh-the-wests-lamentable-myopia