[Marxism] Fwd: Irada | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Feb 17 14:33:16 MST 2017

I have been a fan of Bollywood movies for many years. Since they are
geared to ordinary people rather than international film festivals,
there is a premium on story-telling and a disdain for the irony that has
become so dominant in Hollywood films. This is not to speak of the song
and dance routines that punctuate the films, which for me are far more
enjoyable than anything in “La La Land.”

If you are a fan of Bollywood films like me or if you’d like to sample
one of the more interesting examples, I recommend “Irada” that opened
today at the AMC Empire 25 theater in NY. This is a detective story
named that pits its hero Arjun Mishra (Arshad Warsi), who is a
combination of Sherlock Holmes and Lieutenant Columbo, against a
powerful chemical company boss named Paddy Sharma (Sharad Kelkar). Like
probably most chemical companies in India, his is dumping carcinogenic
waste products into the groundwater of Bathinda, a Punjabi city.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2017/02/17/irada/