[Marxism] Fwd: Ditching the Deep State | Jacobin

Gary MacLennan gary.maclennan1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 17:23:56 MST 2017

Interesting article no doubt and my thanks for posting it.  Myself tends to
disagree with his conclusions but then what I think of as the "deep state"
is not what he thinks the concept means.

I grant the notion of the state as a strategic field and also the notion
that there are factions etc within the state.

But if we step back from that picture then we can see that the American
state has  had a broad directional unity.  That unity is fracturing because
of the crisis within the neoliberal paradigm. The same crisis had put the
deplorables and the menagerie of misfits in the Oval Office.  And there are
some sections of the state that do not like that and are getting to like it
even less.  Whether we call them the Deep State or not does not exercise my
mind overly.  But then as I have often said I am Irish and we scatter words
like drunken sailors spend dollars on a Saturday night.

comradely

Gary

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 3:33 AM, Louis Proyect via Marxism <