[Marxism] fake news and neuroscience

Jeff meisner at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 21 13:49:23 MST 2017

On 2017-02-21 21:27, Andrew Pollack via Marxism wrote:

> I love that the author debunks neuroscience

Well of course he does NOT do that; he isn't talking about neuroscience
but about crumby journalism and in this case what he calls
"neurobabble". In a more pointed remark he generalizes the phenomenon to
all appeals to "science":

      "These are important findings, because they
      suggest that people systematically vary in their
      ability to apply basic critical thinking, simply
      as a result of the presence of irrelevant science-
      speak."

I see this all the time with physics, for instance, with the use of the
word "quantum" in ways that have nothing to do with quantum mechanics,
or using the "uncertainty principle" to elevate the status of
uncertainty in totally different realms. Please don't blame science for
the misuse of its vocabulary whether by charlatans or shoddy
journalists.

- Jeff