[Marxism] Free Tibet

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Feb 23 09:43:32 MST 2017

I strongly urge comrades to watch "The Angry Monk" online:

http://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/angry_monk

This is a documentary I reviewed 10 years ago:

https://louisproyect.org/2007/02/28/the-angry-monk/

Choephel began life as a Buddhist monk but evolved into a scholar of
Tibetan history and a political activist during his extended visit to
India in the 1930s, where he became inspired by Gandhi’s revolt. He
decided to travel to India after coming into contact with Rahul
Sankrityayan, an Indian researcher of ancient Buddhist texts in Tibet.
Surprisingly, Sankrityayan was also a Marxist revolutionary who fought
for Indian independence. (It should be mentioned that many of these
texts were burned in huge bonfires during the Chinese Cultural
Revolution, a barbaric act that rivals the Taliban’s destruction of
ancient statues of Buddha in Afghanistan.)

When in India, Choephel not only politicized, he left behind the kind of
Puritanism expressed in the Dalai Lama’s strictures against
homosexuality. He was proud of his ability to sleep with 4 or 5
prostitutes in an evening and to get roaring drunk in the process, as
Golok Jigme, a 85 old monk and former traveling companion of Choepel,
reveals in an interview. In addition to writing the very first history
of Tibet, Choepel translated the Kama Sutra into Tibetan! In the
introduction to this classic work on sexual techniques, he wrote:

As for me — I have little shame I love women. Every man has a woman.
Every woman has a man. Both in their mind desire sexual union. What
chance is the for clean behaviour? If natural passions are openly
banned, unnatural passions will grow in secrecy. No law of religion — no
law of morality can supress the natural passion of mankind.

Choephel was the quintessential modernizer. Like Turkey’s Mustafa Kemal,