[Marxism] The Dangers of Talking About an American 'Deep State' - The Atlantic

MM marxmail00 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 20:46:18 MST 2017

> On Feb 23, 2017, at 8:26 PM, Louis Proyect via Marxism <marxism at lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:
>
> https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/02/why-its-dangerous-to-talk-about-a-deep-state/517221/ <https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/02/why-its-dangerous-to-talk-about-a-deep-state/517221/>

Notes of caution are usually fine, often worthwhile, but this article doesn’t really even make an effort to be theoretically rigorous; it’s little more than a hand-wringing rumination — from a liberal establishment publication — on a collection of opinions, the latter seemingly having been gathered mainly on the assumption that nationality is a reasonable proxy for expertise.

I believe Peter Dale Scott was the first person to use the term “deep state” in reference to the U.S. context; as it happens, he has weighed in on the current discussion of “Trump and the deep state,” in a new introduction to his book, The American Deep State: Big Money, Big Oil, and the Struggle for U.S. Democracy. One might take issue with some aspects of the account he offers, but it does at least have the virtue of being extensively documented:

http://whowhatwhy.org/2017/02/06/donald-j-trump-deep-state-part-1/ <http://whowhatwhy.org/2017/02/06/donald-j-trump-deep-state-part-1/>

http://whowhatwhy.org/2017/02/07/donald-j-trump-deep-state-part-2/ <http://whowhatwhy.org/2017/02/07/donald-j-trump-deep-state-part-2/>