[Marxism] Fwd: Jimmy Kimmel is a Total Dick and Other Reflections on the Oscars

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Feb 28 08:34:53 MST 2017

(I turned off the Oscars as this awful attempt at a joke began. It
reminded me of the sadistic "humor" of SNL that has been directed at
society's "losers".)

Kimmel ported over to the Oscar broadcast a favored shtick from his
nightly show, which is the “pranking” of everyday slobs.  Vile enough in
its nightly incarnation, this mockery of uncool out-of-towners reached a
zenith of Creepy last night when he arranged for a busful of tourists to
be led into  the auditorium unawares, so that they suddenly found
themselves onstage at the Academy Awards.  I give this “prank” full
points for surrealist invention; there is a certain cruel, tedious
genius to it.  But the point of this kind of joke is always the same
one: there are two classes of people, the puppeteers and the puppets,
and we in show business—the men, specifically, the ones who wear the
tuxedos–are always the ones whose fingers will make you dance.  The fact
that these “tourists”—ha!  they sign up for organized tours! they come
from places like Oshkosh and Utica! they don’t dress good like
us!—responded to the prank with good humor did nothing to mitigate the
ugliness of it.

And, of course, to cap it all off, Kimmel ordered the Academy members to
throw a shock into the tourists as they entered the hall by shouting—in
unison—“Mahershala!”  And with that, he married his two
endlessly-battered themes—the intrinsic hilarity of “foreign-sounding”
names and the goofy cloddishness of the everyday American—into one huge
condescending punchline.

I work in this business, and I have seen up close the utter contempt
that many people in it have for the audience they purport to entertain.
But nothing embodies it more clearly than that smirk on Jimmy Kimmel’s
face as those everyday, hardworking Americans—you know, the idiots—were
paraded offstage, past the uncomfortable movie-stars, back to their
meaningless and unglamorous lives.

full:
http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/02/28/jimmy-kimmel-is-a-total-dick-and-other-reflections-on-the-oscars/