[Marxism] Democratically-chosen government?

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 11:17:32 MST 2017


I have to agree with Richard (even though it's usually Louis who's telling
me to behave :)
On the UFPJ list, the standard reply of stalinoids to ANYTHING and
EVERYTHING with which they disagree is "how much did the CIA pay you to say
that?"
We can do better.

On Sat, Jan 7, 2017 at 1:08 PM, Richard Taylor via Marxism <
marxism at lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:

> ********************  POSTING RULES & NOTES  ********************
> #1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
> #2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
> #3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.
> *****************************************************************
>
> Dear Louis Proyect,
>
> Let me begin by writing that I am a long time subscriber to your website.
> I have considerable respect for your work, your rigor, and your
> conviction.  On the matter of Syria, you have been a beacon of light from
> the onset.
>
> I do have one suggestion: tone down the personal vituperation that creeps
> into your postings.  For example, in your posting below, you conclude by
> writing, "I hope you are getting paid well enough by the Kremlin to assuage
> your conscience.”  This is completely gratuitous.  Let your robust argument
> do the talking.  By adding the last sentence, you deflect attention from
> your argument, and by the inclusion of the last sentence, you needlessly
> insinuate an ad hominem attack that no doubt surely inclines Mr. Hirthler
> to be even less disposed to consider your case.  However tempting it is to
> include ad hominem attacks, they have to be subordinated to the higher task
> of persuasion.
>
> Dick Taylor
> > On Jan 7, 2017, at 11:51 AM, Louis Proyect via Marxism <
> marxism at lists.csbs.utah.edu> wrote:
> >
> > ********************  POSTING RULES & NOTES  ********************
> > #1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
> > #2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
> > #3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.
> > *****************************************************************
> >
> > Jason Hirthler,
> >
> > In your Counterpunch article, you write about the ethnic cleansing of
> East Aleppo:
> >
> > "What else do you call it when a democratically-chosen government clears
> a city of an invading army?"
> >
> > Who in the fuck are you kidding?
> >
> > The current government in Syria owes its existence to a military coup
> that took place in 1970. After Hafez al-Assad died, his son Bashar became
> president with votes of 99.7% and 97.6% support in the 2000 and 2007
> elections, the sort of results that would turn Mayor Daley green with envy.
> Except they weren't actually elections. They were referenda on whether you
> support the only candidate running. You might be aware that Syria is a
> one-party state. If you are not aware of that fact, I might excuse you for
> being in over your head writing about Syria. If you are aware of that fact
> and despite that insist on writing such bilge, I hope you are getting paid
> well enough by the Kremlin to assuage your conscience.
> > _________________________________________________________
> > Full posting guidelines at: http://www.marxmail.org/sub.htm
> > Set your options at: http://lists.csbs.utah.edu/
> options/marxism/rgt2%40me.com
>
>
> _________________________________________________________
> Full posting guidelines at: http://www.marxmail.org/sub.htm
> Set your options at: http://lists.csbs.utah.edu/
> options/marxism/acpollack2%40gmail.com
>



More information about the Marxism mailing list