[Marxism] Fwd: The Standout Films of 2016

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jan 13 10:18:24 MST 2017

As most of you probably know, Netflix no longer bothers with the offbeat
films I tend to review, either as DVD or streaming. Since my reviews
cover documentaries, foreign films and American indies that tend to be
shown in art houses like New York’s Film Forum, I always regret that my
readers living in cities or towns where there is nothing but Cineplexes
are forced to choose between multimillion dollar movies about space
aliens or Judd Apatow comedies.

The good news is that Amazon and ITunes have picked up the slack.
Although I hate Jeff Bezos and Tim Cook just as much as the next person,
I am glad that these types of art house films can now be seen in the
same year they premiered for between $3.99 and $5.99 in these venues.

I tend to avoid identifying “best of” movies or directors after the
fashion of the Academy Awards and only take part in New York Film
Critics Online yearly awards meetings because members are expected to
take part. This week’s Golden Globe awards ceremony pretty much sums up
why the whole thing turns me off. Although I managed to sit through “La
La Land” that walked off with the lion’s share of the awards, I found it
far less interesting than the narrative films listed below that were
diametrically opposed to Damien Chazelle’s sugar-coated retro-musical.

The twenty films listed below were among the best that I saw this year
but I would be loath to sort them in order by preference rather than
alphabetical order. Competition of this sort always turned me off
whether it is for the Nobel Prize (good for Dylan to avoid the tuxedo
and gown spectacle) or even for the Isaac Deutscher Prize. I wonder
sometimes what Trotsky’s biographer would think of Marxists competing
with each other for a £500 prize. Or Leon Trotsky for that matter, who
is history’s greatest loser in some ways. I tend to identify with losers
so I guess I’ll never fit into an American society that now has its
President the host of “Apprentice” where “losers” are humiliated for
failing to come up with some “winning” strategy for selling junk of the
sort that Trump’s Empire is built on.

full: http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/01/13/the-standout-films-of-2016/