[Marxism] Fwd: The dark rigidity of fundamentalist rural America: a view from the inside

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Jan 17 19:52:26 MST 2017

I grew up in rural, Christian, white America. You’d be hard-pressed to
find an area in the country that has a higher percentage of Christians
or whites. I spent most of the first 24 years of my life deeply embedded
in this culture. I religiously (pun intended) attended their Christian
services. I worked off and on, on their rural farms. I dated their
calico skirted daughters. I camped, hunted, and fished with their sons.
I listened to their political rants at the local diner and truck stop. I
winced at their racist/bigoted jokes and epithets that were said more
out of ignorance than animosity. I have also watched the town I grew up
in go from a robust economy with well-kept homes and infrastructure turn
into a struggling economy with shuttered businesses, dilapidated homes,
and a broken down infrastructure over the past 30 years. The problem
isn’t that I don’t understand these people. The problem is they don’t
understand themselves, the reasons for their anger/frustrations, and
don’t seem to care to know why.

In deep-red white America, the white Christian God is king, figuratively
and literally. Religious fundamentalism is what has shaped most of their
belief systems. Systems built on a fundamentalist framework are not
conducive to introspection, questioning, learning, change. When you have
a belief system that is built on fundamentalism, it isn’t open to
outside criticism, especially by anyone not a member of your tribe and
in a position of power. The problem isn’t “coastal elites don’t
understand rural Americans.” The problem is rural America doesn’t
understand itself and will NEVER listen to anyone outside their bubble.
It doesn’t matter how “understanding” you are, how well you listen, what
language you use…if you are viewed as an outsider, your views are
automatically discounted. I’ve had hundreds of discussions with rural
white Americans and whenever I present them any information that
contradicts their entrenched beliefs, no matter how sound, how
unquestionable, how obvious, they WILL NOT even entertain the
possibility it might be true. Their refusal is a result of the nature of
their fundamentalist belief system and the fact I’m the enemy because
I’m an educated liberal.

full:
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/11/the-dark-rigidity-of-fundamentalist-rural-america-a-view-from-the-inside/