[Marxism] Charlie Liteky, 85, Dies; Returned Medal of Honor in Protest

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Jan 24 09:32:31 MST 2017

NY Times, Jan. 24 2017
Charlie Liteky, 85, Dies; Returned Medal of Honor in Protest
By SAM ROBERTS

Charlie Liteky, a former Army chaplain who received the Medal of Honor
for bravery in Vietnam, only to return the medal two decades later as a
protest of American foreign policy in Central America, died on Friday in
San Francisco. He was 85.

His death was confirmed by a friend, Richard Olive, who said Mr. Liteky
had suffered a stroke several weeks ago.

Mr. Liteky, who was a Roman Catholic priest when he was given the award,
is believed to be the only one of nearly 3,500 recipients of the medal
since the Civil War to have returned it in a demonstration of political
dissent, Victoria Kueck, the operations director of the Congressional
Medal of Honor Society, said on Monday.

He acted out of opposition to the Reagan administration’s support for
Central American dictators accused of brutally suppressing leftist
guerrillas.

In 1986, Mr. Liteky (pronounced LIT-key) left the medal in an envelope
addressed to President Ronald Reagan at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in
Washington. He also renounced the lifetime tax-free monthly pension —
then about $600, now about $1,300 — that went with it.

Mr. Liteky, who later served two federal prison terms for civil
disobedience as a war protester, said he was motivated in his political
dissent by the commitment that had inspired his bravery on the
battlefield in Vietnam.

“The reason I do what I do now is basically the same,” he told The San
Francisco Chronicle in 2000 as he faced a second prison sentence. “It’s
to save lives.”

On Dec. 6, 1967, Mr. Liteky, the son of a career Navy petty officer,
repeatedly neglected his own shrapnel wounds and, without a weapon,
helmet or flak jacket, exposed himself to mortars, land mines and
machine guns to rescue 23 wounded colleagues who had been ambushed by a
Vietcong battalion. He evacuated the injured soldiers and administered
last rites to the dying.

Before that firefight, Mr. Liteky had never been in combat.

He was one of three chaplains who earned the Medal of Honor in Vietnam.
The other two were awarded posthumously.

Mr. Liteky once recalled that when he went to Vietnam, “I was 100
percent behind going over there and putting those Communists in their
place.”

“I had no problems with that,” he added. “I thought I was going there
doing God’s work.”

After he volunteered for another six-month tour, Mr. Liteky returned
home from the war as an Army captain. Troubled by the celibacy
requirement, he left the priesthood in 1975.

In the late 1970s, he was introduced by Judy Balch, a former nun, to
refugees from El Salvador, “teenagers, whose fathers had been killed and
tortured,” he recalled. He evolved into a vigorous opponent of American
support for right-wing factions there and in Nicaragua and Guatemala.

In 1983, he married Ms. Balch in San Francisco. She died last year. No
immediate family members survive.

In 1986, Mr. Liteky mounted a debilitating 47-day hunger strike near the
Capitol against American involvement in Nicaragua. He later served two
terms for trespassing at the Army’s School of the Americas (now the
Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation) at Fort Benning,
Ga., which trains soldiers from Latin America.

He was sentenced to six months in federal prison in 1990 for squirting
blood on portraits at the school, and to the maximum one year in 2000
for a similar protest.

In 2002 and 2003, he visited Baghdad to protest the impending American
invasion.

“I am in deep sympathy with all of those young men that are over there
now doing what they think is their patriotic duty,” Mr. Liteky told NPR
in 2004. “I think it is more of a patriotic duty of citizens of this
country to stand up and say that this is wrong, that this is immoral.”

He had recently completed a memoir, “Renunciation,” which friends of his
plan to publish this year.

Charles James Liteky was born in Washington on Feb. 14, 1931, to Charles
Liteky and the former Gertrude Diggs. (His father had enlisted in the
Navy when he was 15, lying about his age.)

He was raised mostly in Jacksonville, Fla., where he was a high school
quarterback.

After attending the University of Florida for two years, he entered a
seminary and was ordained a priest in 1960 as Angelo J. Liteky (the name
under which he also received the medal) and joined the Missionary
Servants of the Most Holy Trinity, a clerical organization based in
Silver Spring, Md.

He volunteered as an Army chaplain in 1966 and served with the 199th
Infantry Brigade.

According to his official medal citation, during the firefight, in Bien
Hoa Province, “through his indomitable inspiration and heroic actions,
Chaplain Liteky saved the lives of a number of his comrades and enabled
the company to repulse the enemy.”

He was the fifth military chaplain since the Civil War to receive the award.

After he left the medal at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, it was
retrieved by the National Park Service and placed in the collection of
the National Museum of American History.

His very public protest in 1986 got mixed reviews from fellow medal
recipients. While some criticized his action as unpatriotic, others
described it as courageous.

“When I look at Liteky, I have respect for the courage of his views,”
Paul Bucha, a medal recipient and a past president of the Medal of Honor
Society, said in 2000.

“It’s difficult to be an iconoclast,” Mr. Bucha continued. “It’s much
easier to go along. Men like Liteky are people who should force us to
pause and think; they should not be ostracized and criticized. They are
entitled to their views, and perhaps if we listened we’d be better off.”